Search This Blog

Sunday, October 16, 2011

ABOUT OUR FOUNDER

Peace, Love and Light! My name is Trazana Staples,  I am the Founder/Executive Director of Another Avenue Cultural Resource Center. I  want to fulfill my passion to help and support the community in making available natural, healthy sustainable foods in what we know as ‘Food Deserts’ in poverty stricken neighborhoods. 

For years I suffered from and was diagnosed with hypertension, pre-diabetes, and obesity. At one time I weighed in at 320 lbs at my height of 5'4 1/4" tall. I was absolutely miserable! Everything about me was hurting,  my mind, my spirit, and my body. I could not walk two feet  without being out of breath. I felt as though my entire life was crumbling around me. Before the age of 40 I had several major surgeries, which included, removing my tonsils, adenoids, gallbladder, uterus, and a blood transfusion.  My health continued to deteriorate, besides developing upper respiratory problems, I stayed sick all the time. Missing work and other activities all because I did not feel well. My medications were costing me over $300 per month and that was with insurance.  

In 2004, I decided I wanted to live. I loved food, and wanted to find ways of preparing food that was good for me but still tasteful.  I also began seeking and searching for ways to lose weight. I read books, joined several weight loss programs, local and national.  By 2006, I was on what appeared to be a see-saw. I had tried everything! Considering I had not eaten beef or pork since 1995. I thought there was no hope, and my doctors told me I would be on medication for the rest of my life.  My weight and health was up and down. I refused to go through weight loss surgery after it was recommended by my physician. I started asking more questions and seeking more answers. 

Then one by one, although years a part, The Creator began sending people into my life to help me while on my journey. People who would either support me, encourage me, and/or give me helpful advice and tips. For them I am so grateful. I will always hold dear to my heart, Shronder Gentry, Iris Wray, Sizwe Herring, Willam Scruggs, Cherokee Lewis, Djehuty Ma'at Ra, and Dr. Jeff Menszie (J. Menaq). With their help and support, I discovered wellness activities, new ways of eating; preparing my food, and gardening. I learned about full body detoxing, meditation, yoga and metaphysics. I was given a new look on life and discovered that healthy living was not a 'get well quick' pill, but a lifestyle change. 

Today, although I am still on my weight loss journey, I have lost over 130lbs.  I am no longer on medication of any kind, I can breath, walk, run, swim, and garden. There is nothing I can not do. I am enjoying my life!

Being healthy required a well rounded state of mind. Not only did I have to get my body right, I had to get my mental frame of mind, and my spirit right. I had to change the way I thought about food. I had to learn who I was, and learn to love myself. I had to spend time and become one with nature. I had to learn how to forgive by releasing hurts, pains, and disappointments that occurred throughout my life. I had to learn to build healthy relationships and participate in community.  A healthy lifestyle, Mind, Body, and Spirit is a daily application. I chose to live and enjoy the life given to me.

It is my desire to share with my community and the world the resources I found on my journey. My journey to healthy living unlocked many doors: sustainability, Green jobs, saving the earth, permaculture, and making new friends.  

My ultimate goal is to have an natural foods market in the community in which I live, which is a 'food desert', until then, Another Avenue Cultural Resource Center is dedicated to educate support and outreach for those seeking healither ways of eating and living. We have a backyard sanctuary and a 15 bed community garden, however we need your support to continue on our mission to help support others in taking control of their lives to be happy and healthy.  

All 3 of our presenters for the 'Total Health, Healing, and Well Being Seminar'; Djehuty Ma'at-Ra, and Dr. Jeff Menzise (J.Menaq) ,  have helped me through my journey. Separately from 2007 to present, they all have been a part of my healing journey ,and now they are coming together in Nashville to share with you too! Please register  and Let YOUR Healing Begin! on Saturday, November 12, 2011 9am-4pm
http://anotheravenueculturalresourcecenter.blogspot.com/p/eventsworkshopsseminars.html

Please Join our Blog and Thank you for reading!

 
Trazana has a Bachelor's degree in Management and Human Relations from Trevecca Nazarene University and an Associate’s Degree from Xavier University in Criminal Justice. She has over fifteen years of progressive administration and management experience working as a community organizer and with various community organizations.  Trazana is also active with the Green Jobs Task Force of Davidson County, Tennessee Alliance for Progress, and  EarthMatters TN.  She has volunteered with Health Care For America Now and Organizing for America Now. She is affiliated with several community organizations such as; The Urban EpiCenter, Re/Storing Nashville Program, and Community Food Advocates. In addition, she an author, song writer, mother and grandmother.

BEFORE






NOW













No comments:

Post a Comment